View Single Post
Unread 08-27-2015, 08:07 PM   #31
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,482 Times in 1,323 Posts
Default The M1900/2000!

Here are the pics I took of it yesterday. It was perfect conditions for taking pics outside, so I jumped onto the project, which had been fairly long-procrastinated. None of the parts typically numbered with the last two serial number digits are so-marked on this one, save the "40" on the regular place on the rear toggle link--albeit engraved, as opposed to stamped.

I am pleased that this example, unlike my stainless P.08, presents fairly flat surfaces instead of the commonly encountered wavy buffing results. I believe this one, too, was buffed--but much more carefully. The transition curve at the top, front of the receiver is a bit soft-looking, and the two sides of it are not symmetrical, but this is waaay better than the P.08

Specific variations from the originals I have found are:

1) Its grips are thicker than originals would be and the handle really feels fat in the hand. This is the same experience as gripping my stainless P.08 Guys with big hands might like this.

2) The grips are mechanically checkered and the pattern tapers off before it reaches the front and back edges of the panels, presumably before the diamonds get too much more distorted. Again, like my SS P.08.

3) The bottom of the grip frame is significantly wider, front-to-back, than an original P.08. My "Ollie grips" didn't even come close to covering the frame.

4) Seemingly typical of the AIMCO shop, the trigger lever is held in by a roll-pin, rather than the sprung-in deal of the originals. (see pic below)

5) The finish is not a treatment/bluing of the material, but a black coating. I'd guess it is Cerakote, or the like. It is already getting thin on the top edge of the side plate...

6) There is no anti-toggle-bounce catch on the right side toggle knob.

7) The safety lever, although the area on the frame is nicely milled white just like the early originals, works in reverse of how the early, unaltered originals did. Instead, it is like the 70's Mauser grip safeties in function, and the gun is on safe when the milled area is covered up!

8)The mag is folded construction of Stainless with a wooden bottom, spot-welded along the spines, which I consider a lesser technique to the ones staked at the top. Sorry, no pic.
A standard mag fits the well OK, but original or MecGar mags' notches for the catch are just a tad too low to allow it to click into a retained state in this gun. The mag that accompanied it clicks in securely so that it won't fall out, but it rotates somewhat around its lengthwise axis. I'm unsure how this will affect feeding/function, but will be able to report soon about it because:

I will run a mag through it, just to check its ability to function and fire correctly. This pistol was never shot much, if at all, beyond the factory test. The bottom of the block has only one, tiny mark running its length from being used.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1900 etc 045.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	51300  

Name:	1900 etc 046.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	51302