Unread 07-16-2015, 01:20 AM   #33
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,482 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVoigt View Post
If one reads in Sturgess, they find that the period German .22 lr ammo was marginal in the pistol sub caliber kit- explanation is the ammo was designed for the rifle and didn't build sufficient pressure for the pistol to have a 'normal' barrel length.
Makes sense.

Quote:
That is why I started with standard velocity .22 LR, then Eley rifle target; neither of which worked. The Peters high speed did.
What's the muzzle velocity of the Peters?

Quote:
One can see from reading the post above that standard and high speed actually can overlap a little, so even the brand and maybe the lot will make a difference.
I think the speed ratings are pretty nominal; the only clear line is the 1100 fps, below which rounds are sub-sonic, by definition.

Quote:
Your results will likely vary, but it is not at all unusual to have to select .22 LR ammo that functions well or better in any particular pistol- not just model- but individual pistols can vary significantly.

The same is true for other caliber pistols.
You said a mouthful there! Before the ammo panic, I picked up several boxes each of just about anything I could find in 40 gr RN, up to about the velocity rating of CCI Mini Mags, so I could offer this selection to each of my .22 Ermas. Some like a load a little hot, some do not.