View Single Post
Unread 05-23-2015, 05:18 AM   #40
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsand View Post
I watched this video you posted, and the guy in it is NOT too familiar withe this system. I'll explain.

The "wing" at the end of the bolt he demonstrates to be at "safety on" position in the VERTICAL orientation. This is INCORRECT!

When the "wing" is on the left, the rifle is ready to fire. When it's fully to the right, the rife is "on safe". The vertical position is used ONLY for dis assembly of the bolt! When this wing is vertical, the bolt is removed from the rifle (magazine is empty!!), and in this position (and this position only), the bolt body can be separated from the bolt "head" by depressing the plunger,visible at the "collar". Once the bolt body is separated, the firing pin is placed into the metal "ring" on the stock (on K98), the wing is forced downward with the thumb (against the spring), and the firing pin can be removed, by turning the connector 90 degrees. On M48, the tip of the firing pin is placed into the nut of the crossbolt, and treated the same way (M48 does not have the metal "ring" imbeded into the stock.

Bottom line,.....the rifle is NOT safe with the wing vertical!! The wing should NEVER (as in never-ever) be in the vertical position if the rifle has a round in the chamber. If dropped it can fire.

Be safe folks. This disassembly procedure was drilled into me in the elementary school in Belgrade, back in 1968.

Allright, all correct, but remember that Hickock45, that you surely know, is an icon for many of us.

Sergio