View Single Post
Unread 03-18-2015, 12:26 PM   #8
Sieger
User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsand View Post
Since I am not equipped to measure uniformity of the load, velocity, or trajectory, I can not disagree with your statement from that point of view. But,.......

I've been using PPU ammo in MANY different calibers, and found it to be VERY well made. "PPU" stands for "Prvi Partizan Uzice" ("Uzice" pronounced as "Uzhitse"). Factory is located in the city of Uzice in Southern Serbia (today), and it was the biggest ammunition factory in former Yugoslavia.

This city was famous in Yugoslavia, because of WW2, and the historical event of Tito's Partisan forces establishing so called 'Uzicka Republika' ("Uzhitse Republic"), where the above mentioned forces proclaimed "Uzice Republic", after they liberated the region around the city from Wehrmacht (they lost the territory shortly after, but nevertheless). The event had a big historical significance not just because they took the city from Wehrmacht, but also because Yugoslavia was a Constitutional Monarchy at that point, and the Communist Partisans signaled to the world and The Monarchy what they intend to do after they win the war (Yugoslav king Peter, and the whole court was in exile in London at that time). Ammunition factory was named "Prvi Partizan" ("First Partisan") to honor that achievement.

This factory was a main supplier of the ammunition for Yugoslav Peoples Army (JNA) until the breakup of Yugoslavia. Today, it supplies Serbian Armed Forces, and produces ammunition in many calibers.

Since I collect Yugoslav small arms, I naturally want to feed it it's "original" diet, and I stock many PPU calibers. Never had a misfire, squib, or a dud. IMO, this is honestly made, mass produced, military grade ammunition (with a very long shelf life), and it performs as intended. No, it's not finely tuned "custom loaded", handcrafted ammo, but it's way better made (again IMO) than anything coming from China, or the former Eastern Block countries (including Russia and their fascination for steel cased ammo!).

For example,.....their 7.92X57 "sniper" grade ammo (made in the 1970s) is (according to many experts on this caliber), the finest (and the most accurate) "off the shelf" 7.92 Mauser load money can buy. Their 9x19 Luger is WAY better than "Winchester White Box", and I just LOVE their 7.62X39, and 7.62X25.

Sorry about the long post, but if some of you shoot PPU ammunition, I think you should know why it's called "PPU", and the history behind it (and since all the members of this forum are history buffs, me included, I think it's fitting).

Thanks for reading.
Hi,

I've had occasion to shoot their stuff since the early 1980s when it was being imported under a different name. They did and do load several military calibers otherwise not available, or otherwise too expensive.

I handload everything. Their brass is definitely second grade at best.

As to their much vaulted 7.92mm Mauser Sniper load; some I've shot has grouped pretty well, other lots have grouped poorly.

PPU definitely fills the Saturday afternoon plinking crowd's bill, nicely, however, as the price is right!!!

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote