View Single Post
Unread 07-17-2003, 12:20 AM   #5
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts
As Russ pointed out, Swiss proofs turned up on non-Swiss Lugers. Apparently there was either an over-run of Swiss barrels or the press of meeting production schedules made it necessary to use what was on hand. The 1900 American Eagle model production started around serial number 2000. I once owned serial number 2199 that had a Swiss proofed barrel. Currently, my number 2136 and every other 1900 American Eagle that I have encountered in this 2000-2200 range has had the Swiss proofed barrel. I do not find it surprising at all when an early model 1900 Luger turns up with a Swiss proofed barrel.

The 1900 you have been offered is a commercial Luger made for export, probably to an English speaking country, but it is not often encountered in the US since the American Eagle commercial was marketed here and is much more prevalent.

Does the Luger you have been offered have the Type 2 or Type 3 thumb safety? I congratulate you on your excellent acquisition and I hope you will be able to post pictures of it, and in particular some pictures of the holster that is original to the gun