View Single Post
Unread 01-08-2015, 02:40 PM   #4
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRomanhistorian View Post
Thanks! I picked up one of the old Lee Classic Loaders for $10 when I was visiting family in Idaho so thought I'd take a crack at it. I have the FMJ RN bullets so I was going to try 1.17" as I've seen Sieger and others suggest and maybe load up 5 rounds to test next Sunday at the range.

It just seemed a shame to have this Unique sitting around doing nothing!
Hi,

I'd go as low as 4.8 grains of Unique and work up in 1/10 of a grain increments.

To find your bottom, load one round each at 4.8,4.9... etc. until when firing them singly, your hold open device works. This will be your starting point. Next, with a full magazine of 8 rounds, go up 1/10 of a grain until your groups tighten nicely. Your cutoff point should be around 5.6 grains or so.

Some swear by Unique in the 9mm, but for me, I've only had so so performance and accuracy with it.

With round nose bullets, your OAL should be just at 1.173 inches, but you might want to read the sticky in this section on how to determine proper OAL when reloading a new bullet type. Actually, your accuracy loads won't vary all that much in powder charge between the 115 and 124 grain bullets. Sometimes by only 1/10 of a grain or so.

Good shooting!!!

Sieger

P.S.: I bought the Lee Hand Press around 1983 or so and am still using it. For less than $20.00 then, I've certainly gotten my moneys worth!!
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Sieger for your post: