Unread 12-27-2014, 10:09 PM   #8
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecoast View Post
RCBS dies (2-piece). I don't mind the combo primer removal and expansion dies, but I wish I had separate seating and crimping dies as the adjustment of both operations simultaneously is tricky. I ruined a few pieces of brass getting it right.

I believe that a taper crimp is applied with these dies.
I also have the RCBS 25001 die set, but I use a 22-250 decapping pin/punch in a 44 Magnum sizer die to punch out the primers before tumbling (and before sizing). I just got into the habit long ago. It probably has no benefit. It doesn't do anything to the case itself. I've convinced myself that it cleans out the primer pocket before the other operations. I do the same for pretty much all my reloading.

Someone here mentioned a Lee roll crimping die for seating/crimping the bullet. If anyone knows the Lee part number, I'd like to try it. None of my .308" bullets have a cannelure, but it's something to try.

I had one of those collet-crimping dies once, like a R8 collet, and it was pretty much worthless. I forget what I was crimping/reloading, but I like the basic idea.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote