sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayhugh View Post
As quoted from ad.

The Powell Indicating Device consists of two components 1) A special left grip that has a small slot cut lengthwise down the grip with a small delicate metal strip attached to the backside that was covered with a 3 1/4 inch very fragile celluloid strip. The metal strip was inscribed with black numbers (1-7) running from the top to the bottom of the strip, that indicated the number of rounds remaining in the magazine. 2) The second part was the special cartridge counter magazine. This magazine, although similar to a standard wood base magazine, has been slotted on the left side of the body and was fitted with a special follower that had a small pin/indicator projecting on the left side. This small indicator pin has a single horizontal witness mark on top and the pin slides up and down under the celluloid strip as the rounds are fired, indicating how many cartridges were actually left in the magazine; a simple but very effective device.
Yep. All true. That's not what I'm copying. This is the 1904 Dutch mod, right grip slotted. Different.

[Sturgess & Gortz, pg 298]

(Also much simpler.)

But on the subject of the Powell Indicator, I had wondered why the 'indicator' was offset from the follower pin shaft...It's because the last round is way up inside the 'receiver' and the follower button shaft is no longer visible, so the pin is not used as the indicator; an offset pointer is installed.

The Powell device is also limited to 7 rounds (1 - 7). Second pic shows 4 rds indicated but only two visible. Fascinating.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Powell2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	44048  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Powell.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	44049  

Last edited by sheepherder; 11-20-2014 at 08:38 AM.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to sheepherder for your post: