View Single Post
Unread 11-17-2014, 06:26 PM   #1
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts
Default Cartridge Counter Grip Mod

Discussion of the Powell Indicator/Cartridge Counter Lugers in another thread prompted me to check in Sturgess & Gortz's DVD about this variation...And it was mentioned that The Dutch had experimented with 10 test Lugers in 1904 with a right-side grip modified to allow direct view of the magazine loading button. No pics, but John [guns3545] had posted a pic which included a cutaway Luger, and it had a similar modification to the right grip. So I decided to make one.

Probably a popular grip mod, since it's so simple. And, simple is my middle name. I didn't want to ruin any of my aftermarket Khyber Pass, Chinese, or India-made grips, so I chose an old set of original grips to chop up.

Someone had tried to re-cut the checkering with a Buck knife or maybe a hacksaw blade, so it was an easy choice. Well-worn and thoroughly oil stained, just the set for the experiment.

I laid out the mag button travel with pencil on masking tape and transferred the lines to the grip to mill out.

It actually worked out pretty well, although when I do the 'good' grip, I'll make my setup/fixture more accurate. This one is just a feasibility study.

The magazine is a Mec-Gar with one of Gerry's aluminum bottoms. Eight rounds were a tight fit, and it really didn't want to compress any more to insert it in the Luger. I think seven rounds is the limit.

This isn't a very practical mod, as you have to switch hands to see the right grip...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CCGrip1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	44008  

Name:	CCGrip2.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	44009  

Name:	CCGrip3.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	44010  

Last edited by sheepherder; 11-26-2014 at 05:17 PM.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 15 members says Thank You to sheepherder for your post: