View Single Post
Unread 11-05-2014, 05:02 AM   #20
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecoast View Post
Can't say for sure without trying, but I have serious doubts as to whether ammo with an OAL of that value would fit into the magazine, especially with the more blunt profile of the bullets I purchased from GT. I loaded mine to 1.145", same as the Western round shown on the right, and they seemed like a pretty tight fit.

You are correct that the specs allow for a max length of 1.175". I will load up a dummy round and verify what the longest round is that I could use in both my Mecgar and older magazines.

Hi,

Not to beat a dead horse, but you will have to experiment with a full 8 rounds in your magazine, all of exactly the same O.A.L., to test for positive function.

I experimented with Winchester .30 cal. bullets, some 25 or 30 years ago, back when they were commercially available for handloaders. The 1.173 O.A.L. was, indeed, correct for perfect, jam free, function.

Luger cartridges don't just "sit" in a magazine, as, for instance, they do in a 1911's magazine; rather, they ride up the sides of the magazine at somewhat of a sharp angel. This was a major design difference between Browning's 1911 pistol and the Luger pistol. It was caused by that very steeply angled grip of the Luger, as opposed to the straighter 1911 grip angel. This is why proper cartridge O.A.L., in a Luger, is so very critical for proper and trustworthy function. Unfortunately, modern ammo manufacturers have long ago forgotten about making Lugers function properly.

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote