View Single Post
Unread 09-11-2014, 07:46 AM   #54
Patronen
User

[QUOTE=ithacaartist;259930]Rich, "demitasse", literally translated, means half-cup.

The Caribbean has lots of high quality coffee to offer. There's the Blue Mountain, from Jamaica, as mentioned, and Puerto Rico's mountains yield some really great stuff. I doubt that we can legally obtain Cuban coffee, but it ranks right up there, as well. Last time I went to Vieques, I brought back a bag of Cafe' Hacienda San Pedro, which was excellent! There's an Italian family's enterprise in Seattle which will send you coffee; they make something called "Bizarro Blend" you can order online, which I found quite tasty!

Turkish coffee is also ground to powder, and I think you wind up drinking most of the grounds in a traditionally prepared cup of it.

For the adventuresome, I suggest one of the subscription services like Gevalia. Scandinavian roast, and also great. They offer seasonal specials on estate-grown coffees from all over the world, so it is a great way to sample lots of different one. When you sing up, they send a free something--often a coffee maker, of more free coffee, making it worth it to subscribe for about a year until the relatively high price cancels out the bargain that was the gift for joining.

So, Google around a little bit and you'll find something new to try. If you keep track of the characteristics, you can zero in on a brand, style, or blend that suits your fancy exactly.[/QUOTE

I met an Israeli acquaintance at my old job and one day we had a conversation about coffee when he asked to use the microwave and the water cooler. He had packets of Turkish coffee he drank that you had to get the water really hot and stir it around and there were fine grounds left. Later whenever he would stop by he would bring in packets of this Turkish coffee and it was pretty good stuff if you didn't mind the grounds.