View Single Post
Unread 08-26-2014, 04:21 PM   #12
Bill_in_VA
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrerick View Post
They still did not modify the regulations on "mailability of handguns" to include transactions by C&R collectors. The mailability of handguns regulations still refer to mailing handguns by "FFL Dealers" and not collectors.

They did add a definition of FFL licensee to include C&R collectors handling C&R qualified firearms.
I'm certainly no lawyer, but it seems to me that a plain-language reading of the regs does in fact allow it under section 432.2.b of USPS "Publication 52 - Hazardous, Restricted, and Perishable Mail."

I know laws and regulations aren't always crystal clear, but following the logical progression:

431.2 defines handguns as Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person.

432.2 states that Handguns and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person are nonmailable unless mailed between the parties listed in this section [...] and are subject to the following:

Those parties listed in Section 432.2 (i.e., the restrictions listed in 432.21 through 432.24) are those for whom handguns are mailable (i.e., who may ship handguns through the mail) and are:
- a licensed manufacturer of firearms, a licensed dealer of firearms, a licensed importer of firearms, or an authorized agent of the [...] government ...
- between licensed manufacturers of firearms, licensed dealers of firearms, and licensed importers of firearms in customary trade shipments, or for repairing or replacing parts.

However, 432.2.b then states Firearms meeting the definition of a handgun under 431.2, which are certified by the curator of a municipal, state, or federal museum that exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest, may be accepted for mailing without regard to the restrictions provided for handguns in Exhibit 432.25 and in 432.21 through 432.24. (emphasis added.)

Putting it all together, it seems to say if the handgun is a C&R handgun, mailability isn't restricted to only a government agent/agency, or a licensed firearm manufacturer/dealer/importer.

Again, I'm not lawyer, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night, so I apologize if I've assed up this interpretation.
Bill_in_VA is offline   Reply With Quote