View Single Post
Unread 05-01-2002, 07:07 PM   #9
Jimbo
User

Default Re: New to lugers...a few questions please

Hi Tim,

I am new to Luger collecting myself, though I have been fascinated by them all my life. I'd like to try to give you an idea of the cost of World War II Lugers. (I hope the experts here will correct my misconceptions.)

In proofing my post I realize it is really, really long. So in a nutshell you can buy a well-used or imported Luger for under a thousand dollars, even $600 to $700, but a mint original with all-matching serial numbers will cost around $2,000 and up.

Getting into more detail (here comes the REALLY long part...

Luger prices are wildly variable due to the huge number of variations, some merely uncommon and some ultra-rare. Here is some background and a few basic guidelines on cost, as I understand them:

WWII "vintage" Lugers were those made from 1934 to 1942, almost all of them manufactured by "Mauser." The earlier Lugers (1934 and 1935)and the models made in smaller quantities tend to cost more than the later Lugers (1941 and 1942) and those made in larger quantities.

Here are the basic models made by Mauser between 1934 and 1942.

Year Model Rarity

1934 K date code Pretty rare

1935 G date code Medium

1936 s/42 Common

1937 s/42 Common

1938 s/42 Common

1939 s/42 Medium

1939 42 Common

1940 42 Common

1941 41-42 Pretty rare

1941 byf 41 Common

1942 byf 42 Common

A "mint condition" Luger with all matching serial numbers on the parts will typically have a minimum cost of about $2,000 to $2,500 for 1934 models and about $1,200 to $1,500 for the 1941 and 1942 models. (Note: typically, all-matching does not mean the magazine has numbers that match the gun. If they do, this will be specifically noted.)

Guns with 95% - 98% of their original finish with good bores and good grips cost about $1,500 for the 1934 models and about $1,000 for the 1941 and 1942 models.

Lugers with less than 90% of their original finish, Lugers that have various non-matching serial numbers on the parts and Lugers that have been stripped and re-blued can cost between $500 and $1,000 for the common varieties. Although it seems almost impossible any Luger for $500 these days unless it is a basket case.

You should also know that there are Lugers that were reworked in Russia or East Germany and "imported" to America, that typically cost between $600 and $900. These Lugers were re-blued and often have new barrels, distinctive looking new grips and have often had the numbers re-stamped on the magazines and the small parts.

I am fairly new to Luger collecting and I am trying to help here, so if I made too many mistakes, my sincerest apologies.

Last year I bought my first Luger -- a plain jane byf/41 all-matching with 95% finish, some pitting, fake grips and commercial magazine for $750. After investing another $200 it wears original grips and has a period-correct magazine. It was only after finding this forum that I learned I could have had a very clean byf/41 for only a bit more money from Ralph Shattuck or Bob Simpson.

Although, I like the gun more and more over time because I have since learned how rare it is to find any collectible Luger in an ordinary gun store such as where I bought mine. And I even like the "fake" grips originally included as they were ivory grips added by the Veteran who brought the pistol back. That kind of sentimental value is priceless, I think.

Good luck with your search Mr. Tim.