View Single Post
Unread 07-17-2014, 04:26 PM   #6
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

If you have no qualms loading/shooting lead bullets, then Western Bullets sells a 92gr LRN bullet in the .310-.311in.(advertised as .309) diameter range cast specifically for the Luger. I have loaded and shot quite a number of these through my 30 luger handguns and find them a good product. I have also loaded the Hornady and Sierra 86gr JSP bullets that are .308in. dia. They can be used but you need to be very sure that you have adequate neck tension to avoid setback.

I feel that your load of Bullseye powder is far more than I would be comfortable with. Perhaps someone placed too strong of a mainspring in your Luger, and it does not want to function with normal loads. That might be worth checking/changing. These "old girls" don't do well with heavy +P+ loads very long before things start breaking.

Like Rick, I have moved away from the fast burning powders in the 30 luger brass, in favor of the medium burners. Unique is my choice of powder for this caliber. I have loaded a lot of 30 luger with Bullseye and Red Dot, I could get it to function, but not as consistently as the Unique powder. It is my main powder at this time for 30 luger and 9mm for my Lugers.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote