View Single Post
Unread 07-03-2014, 09:44 AM   #2
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,482 Times in 1,323 Posts

If it's 9mm, then Winchester white box, Sellier and Bellot, and Fiocchi in 115 gr or 124 gr, FMJ are the standard "yesses" for the P.08. The "no" would be anything hot, such as +p, +p+. or anything marked NATO. These tend to be too powerful and can damage your pistol. Steel cases can be problematic, so stick with brass. I've used aluminum cases in a couple of my other guns in .32 and .380, and they did fine, so also a possible option for Lugers if it's the same otherwise. It's good policy to outfit the shooter with a fresh set of springs. If yours proves cranky, let us know because there may be a fix for whatever ails it. I believe some extreme problems are sometimes solved with a custom load, specific to the pistol, and experimenting with the load, within reasonable parameters, will fine tune the point of impact.

If it's 7.65mm, then the S&B and Fiocchi are the standard. US made .30 Luger ammo is scarce and more than double the price per round of the imports, but if you can find and afford it, it should do OK, although I've heard rumors about Remington's alleged feeding problems. Many who shoot it reload, both to save money and tune their actions and performance. It would mean an initial outlay in the neighborhood of a handful of Ben Franklins for equipment and supplies, but it can be very satisfying in its results; and if you shoot quite a bit, it'll save a buttload of dough.

I think that's it, for the basics. Others will add more details, if necessary.