View Single Post
Unread 06-16-2014, 05:58 PM   #5
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Back when I bought my first set of dies to reload the 30 Luger brass, I purchased the Lee 3 die set. Perhaps I just got a sub-standard/out of spec set, but I was totally unable to use the sizing or the crimping die. I do use the seating die. I purchased a RCBS sizing die which is which is in spec for this caliber, and functions well. I wanted the shoulder set back a small amount farther than the die set it, so I machined 0.020in. off of the die base. Now I am happy.

I don't know if our GT(on this forum) has any more of the Swiss 92gr .309in. FMJ bullets for sale. They are very nice bullets and load/shoot well. The .308in. 86gr JSP Hornady will work, but you need to be very careful that you have adequate neck tension so as to not get set back. The case neck is short, and needs to be sized correctly for the correct neck tension.

I have loaded a lot of 30 Luger brass with fairly fast powders like Bullseye, and Red Dot. The cartridges work well for some of my 30 luger handguns, but not all. Some time back, I tried some loads with a mid range burner(Unique) and I am more pleased with the finished product.

Every Luger is an individual, and some can be very ammo sensitive. My suggestion would be for you to try your Bullseye powder, and if you can make it work in your Luger, then all is good to go. Lugers are trial and error to get them running 100%.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote