View Single Post
Unread 04-28-2014, 10:57 AM   #7
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,483 Times in 1,324 Posts

Rich,

I could send you a coil or two of 1/32" D silver brazing alloy from my roll. The small D. would enable you to apply tiny amounts at a time to keep the surrounding area neat. Clean the surfaces to be joined well first, then when fluxing remember more is less. The flux will "clean" the bluing right off if you're not careful; and these areas will risk wicking the solder to follow wherever the flux has been. If you get an errant blob of solder, re-heat this area somewhat to make the alloy plastic, then a quick swipe of a wire brush will remove dimension from the deposit, leaving mostly only a surface coating, which is less work to sand off. Theoretically, the joint should be a .001 or two between the surfaces. Pre-flux, like a plumbing joint and slowly heat until the flux melts and runs, which distributes the flux and its chemical cleaning power to wherever it goes. The flux will probably bubble out a bit, as its water content expands and escapes. Wipe excess unwanted flux off with a damp rag. Heat both sides as evenly as you can, and the fused solder should wick into the joint, leaving very little where you don't want it.

Or you could drive down between the lakes and we can do it at my shop...