View Single Post
Unread 03-10-2014, 08:05 AM   #26
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneGrass 8 View Post
rhuff ,
The Lee dies I have came with a .307/8 expander plug , and the cast bullets I have are .312/3 . I have loaded a few more dummy rounds , with no crimp , and my set back is much improved ( operator malfunction ) . Probably in for a new set of dies that I`m more familiar with . By the way , that outfit in Montana ( Western Bullet Co. ),he has apparently lost his molds for the 90grn 30cal. cast bullets , and isn`t in a big hurray to replace it because he has not gotten back with me concerning a possible order , but that doesn`t diminish my appreciation for your recommendation , Thanks again , Don
JuneGrass & rhuff,

Here is how to cure your setback problem.

Go ahead and full length size your brass with the sizer button intended for the .308 diameter bullet.

Purchase, from Hornady, their separate expander die for the .32 acp cartridge. This will properly handle your .312 to .313 lead bullets, as well as, your FMJ .312 bullets. You will have to call them, as I haven't seen it for sale otherwise.

Expand your cases just enough for the lead bullet to clear the edge of the neck.

Seat to 1.173 inches of O.A.L. (no crimp, separate operation) with your seating die. If your necks want to buckle, then expand deeper until things square up.

Make sure you make the top of the neck parallel with the bullet as seated (separate operation) with your seating die.

You will now have a nice friction fit bullet, tight friction coming from the base of the neck.

You will no longer experience setback upon loading.

I've used this process for years with both my 7.65mm Luger and 8mm Nambu and it works great! I first learned this little trick while handloading for the 45-70 straight wall cartridge.

Hope this helps!

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote