Unread 12-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #19
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zormpas View Post
Ok, did another measurement - the case diameter directly in front of the groove .412". Yea, I do see the .407" on the HL page - if its any help at all, the 'Rim Diameter' dimension 'D' is .412" on my example also - shown as .417" in the diagram.

This ammo is reputed to feed and shoot well, but as I have yet to try it myself in my weapon, all bets are off! Goddess only knows the provenance of the brass.
Zorba -

Thanks for your measurements! They made me think (always a dangerous act)!!!

OK, I've got it now...I've been looking at my '8mm Nambu' cartridge as being original Japanese issue, or at least Western Cartridge Company clone...Now I realize I have a reformed military 5.56mm [M16] cartridge with a 102gr - .320" lead bullet...The headstamp should have been immediately obvious...

In a way, that's good. It looks right and according to at least one online article will function correctly.

But it means that I got ripped off back in 1977 or so! I've got half a mind to look that nefarious dealer up and demand my dollar back!!!

But I need a 'template' so I can sort through the junk box at my LGS and pull out other suitable candidates for re-forming. The list of donor cases is getting pretty long. Now I read that .357 Sig will work as well as 30 Remington, 30-30 Winchester, 38 Special/.357 Magnum, 38 Super, .223 Remington, and 41 Colt Long. 32 Remington and 375 Winchester can be used if they are swaged in a 30-30 sizing die before forming...Some need the rim trimmed and an extractor groove cut, but those are easy on a lathe.

Last edited by sheepherder; 12-21-2013 at 03:54 PM.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post: