View Single Post
Unread 12-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #8
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I might suggest that you hold off using Brasso, and like products that contain ammonia. The ammonia reacts with the brass and allows deterioration/weakening. To use it now and then won't be a big problem.

Using crushed walnut shells will clean the brass, but will not polish it. It will have that matte finish. I used to use my old Thumbler Tumbler that I purchased in 1971. I used the walnut shells with jewelers rouge on it. It worked, but was a mess to deal with. I stayed with that setup for years, but was never overly pleased with it.

A few years ago I tried one of the vibrating units with corncob media which I add 1-2 cap fulls of Dillon Brass Polish. It works soooo much faster, and with better results(to me). Put the polish into the media and run the machine SANS the brass for 15-20 minutes to dispense the polish(trust me on this). Then add your brass and usually 2-4 hours will produce beautiful like new brass. I also take a sheet of Bounty paper towel and tear it into 4-5 strips and throw them in. They help keep the media clean and when they get nasty, replace it.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote