View Single Post
Unread 10-31-2013, 09:06 PM   #28
sthomp
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Well, the saga continues...the last couple of days have seen some, but minimal progress. The Klean-Strip is slowly attacking it, but very slowly. So, today I went back over to GT's place and we decided to put the muscle to it...try to speed things up. We broke out the propane torch...and very tentatively attacked a small area. It took several maybe 5 second shots with wire brushing between shots to see any removal. So, we got more aggressive and really went after it...right up to the point that the metal was just starting to turn bluish...GT estimated about 600F...we didn't dare go any hotter for obvious reasons. The results were not as good as expected...still significant residual black junk hanging on. So, we did a prolonged application of the Klean-Strip after all the parts cooled down...then rinsed and dried and soaked in Muriatic acid for several minutes. After all of this there was still remnants remaining...more than we expected. Here are some before and after pics. The plan is to continue the propane treatment, with Klean-Strip and muriatic acid dips. I think this will get it done, but it ain't easy...what the hell is this stuff???. I really don't want to go to bead blasting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09652.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	37201  

Name:	DSC09772.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	37202