View Single Post
Unread 10-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #12
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

I posted this in another thread, but am re-posting it here. As far as a lot of grief, what grief was involved?

"I just wanted to update you all on the second repro. snail drum that I received from Numrich on about 10/1/2013. It appears to be of the same quality as the first, as in not perfect but at least interesting and functional.
There is an uneven gap in the mag. body and the cover plate towards the bottom edge, but you have to look pretty close.
As for function, I was doubting that it would be long enough in the main channel to hold standard length ammo. This one will not hold my normal 1.174" FJM reloads (or factory stuff), but it will accept stuff down around 1.12" OAL, so I can squeeze rounds down to fit.
I took it to the local range fully loaded, and it went well, with one stove pipe, but even that one is probably not the mag's fault, possibly gun or ammo. length issue. Of course no last shot hold-open.
I dearly wish that they would send those out with the keeper slot not finished, because they put it too high, causing the mag. to hang just a bit low, negating the hold-open device. If they let us finish filing the slot out to fit our pistols, this would work, but once they punch it out too high, there is no fixing it.
But overall I'd say that this is a keeper. It could be better at virtually no addl. cost of manufacture, but it beats paying for, and risking breaking, an original. And the loading tool really is slick.
I'm not certain if this one is better than the first one that I did return, but I could get rounds into this one, so it certainly seems better. Whether it has been corrected OR if I've just figured out how to load it is still up for debate...
Mine fits a bit loose in both the 1936 Mauser and the late WW1 Artillery. No problems getting the mag. into the gun.

Let me know if you have any questions.
dju "

Last edited by DavidJayUden; 10-09-2013 at 01:35 PM. Reason: update
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote