View Single Post
Unread 09-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,482 Times in 1,323 Posts

Hi Gary,

Some have had decent reliability and function using these kits, others are not necessarily as fortunate.

Yes, correct, that is a mag from the later SE-08 conversion kit, many imported post-war by Interarms. I don't think it will work with the toggle you have because the right, rear mag lip acts as the ejector when the system is installed. A separate ejector for this toggle train would have been included in the kit, to be swapped out in place of the gun's usual ejector. Can't tell if the mag's feature would take the place of the missing kit part and function in concert with the toggle train without checking to see by installing it in a Luger, but the underside/profile of the breech block would need to accommodate either.

I believe this toggle train is the model with a 2-piece rear axle, and a line-up tool for installing it.

I have the kit that uses that mag, but the two mags I have for it are suspect in feeding problems. I recently lost an auction for one that looked pretty minty, and would acquire another in really good shape to continue efforts to get the whole deal cycling properly. I'd make an offer, but would risk its being an insult because for this situation, I simply choose to set a lower limit on purchasing my third one, for several reasons. Otherwise, the one on eBay went for $61.99 after 9 bids; my max had been a dollar less. I think you might do better on Gunbroker or eBay if yours is properly listed. The last guy http://www.ebay.com/itm/200956680751...84.m1435.l2649 did not know what he had, and I think this may have cost him money. I think you could easily realize $75-100 for yours if it were accurately described. But other collectors on the forum would probably appreciate a shot at it, so this is what I'd suggest first.

The Nazi-proofed ones are pricey, due to their history--you could count on coughing up %1k + for a numbers matching WWII kit. But then, you're into it for enough money that you'd not install or shoot it for fear of obliterating half its value, like a Luger, if you crack a matching part. That's why I bought one with no fancy history or accompanying high price, a post-war shooter. Anyway, your experience in lack of affordable replacement components does not surprise me. But it might mean that you can extract an appropriate premium for what you do have, since it is military in origin. Some other members maybe able to guide you in pricing it. Mauro, for one, knows a lot about these jiggers; he's shone the light of knowledge for me a couple of times during my adventure of trying out one of these kits.

David Parker