View Single Post
Unread 04-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #18
Olle
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithacaartist View Post
Olle, I was referring to the Ep.22 as Erma's second crankiest gun. The all-time "winner" for being a little bi*ch is their La.22. I think the improvements in the Ep.22 trigger system and extra weight of its firing pin result in fewer FTF than the La model. All the models from the 60s are good for practice in clearing jams, adjusting mag lips, and dialing in ammunition according to the relationship the round's power has in affecting the action as it functions! Failure to feed, failure to fire, stovepipes--empty and unfired, failure to eject, are all part of the "fun" of these early guns. I've had slam-fire, ignition of multiple rounds in full-auto fashion, and I've even experienced the entire bottom blowing off the .22 rimfire round, creating a tube open on both ends! One may well wonder how these things could have ever worked!

My faves are the downsized KGP series. These are all steel, save the grip frame, itself. There is no motion, and no particular stress during functioning between the Zamak frame and the steel upper, except for takedown and re-assembly. The only reasonable worry in this case would be dropping the gun, in that the frame will break more easily than one of steel. These guns, .22 cal for the KGP69s, .32 and .380 for the KGP68(a)s, are much better built and finished than their predecessors, La, Ep, and Et.22s, which are predominantly die-cast construction; and they work better, too.
Then we are in perfect agreement! Like they say in Sweden: "There's degrees even in hell", and there is a difference between the Erma guns for sure. Mine happens to be the LA-22 (i.e. the black sheep of the family), and after hours (days, actually) of tweaking I have admitted defeat. I might pick it up and try again, but I'll probably have to get me some Xanax first. Sometimes I believe that the LA-22 is Hitler's last vengeance weapon, and intended to be the ultimate revenge on the American people.

Now, as you're knowledgeable on Erma's products: How about the RX22 PPK clone? I happened to find one in mint condition and I have been debating whether I should shoot it or not. It's a very simple and hopefully fool proof design, but do they really work? Or should I leave it in the box and hope that it will be a collectible one day?

Way off topic, but anyway...
Olle is offline   Reply With Quote