View Single Post
Unread 03-31-2002, 01:37 PM   #22
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,101 Times in 1,427 Posts
Default Re: Why it works for me.

Dave I understand where you are coming from and just because Jaguar or Rolls Royce uses Hide care on their leather seats does not make it a great preservative. I have no degrees in chemistry and because of that I keep an open mind when people who do share their knowledge of such things. However I do have experience in working leather and I knopw that when vegetable tanned leather gets wet it dries to a stiff un-useable board and has to have some treatment to bring it back to life. What would you recomend for this application? The Hide Care product does not list any ingredients at all. I agree with Jhonny Peppers that I have treated leather for years and have observed no deteriazation or crumbling on good solid leather. Crumbly leather to start out with and I hesitate to treat it at all for fear of softening the piece and causing further damage. There is a difference between leather that has it's surface skin intact and leather that is cracked and split. Any ideas on this subject are welcome to me but I am not sure your do nothing approach is the best one for many collectors. That being said I want to agree that one must be careful about what to apply and how much. Storage is another issue and has been discussed by many knowledgable Forum Members here. It is important to pay attention to storage conditions for proper conservation. Thanks all for your input. Jerry Burney

The