View Single Post
Unread 03-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #4
mustangcav
New User

Default Need Help Identifying Suffix

First of all, Hi...I'm Mustang, I'm an Army vet with service in Iraq and Afghanistan and have been collecting and preserving classic American, German and a few Japanese weapons for a few years. Just hate to see these pieces of history get trashed and then vanish. I didn't find a 'new member' page, so here we are. I am in awe of all the Luger smart folks on this forum!

After literally years of looking, I picked up a pretty nice P08 1941/byf and holster (joa) a young man got from his father and wasn't interested in it. Turned out I certainly was...otherwise he probably would have pawned it and this Luger would have ended it's life shooting small mammals out of trees and then used as a prybar. All the numbers match as they should on all the bits and bobs (including the magazine which has matching numbers) except for one fairly common and one not so common spot. The common spot is on one of the handgrips (right side) ...The left has the "53" (last 2 digits of the 6553 SN) and a Waffenamt marking but the right does not...no markings at all.
Now the curious thing...the outside of the trigger plate is marked as you'd expect with "53" like all the other parts, but the INSIDE of the trigger plate I expected to have "65" but it does not...it has "66"..whoa...any ideas on that?
Also for the life of me I cannot identify the suffix letter on the lower receiver. I have looked at numerous lists like the one on this page and there is no clear match. Can anyone help? Pics attached... thanks for reading thru all this!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Luger SN Block Letter.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	32926  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Luger Side Plate.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	32927  

mustangcav is offline   Reply With Quote