View Single Post
Unread 03-29-2002, 04:42 PM   #5
BCC

Default Re: What makes a Black Widow...

I see the answer to your question as more complicated. I personally believe that only the mid-41 and 42 byf production with the black grips qualify as "Black Widows". I have no duobt that as claimed the term was coined by a well known Luger dealer (we all know who) however it may have not originated with him....who knows if GI's and or Germans used this term to some extent. More importantly, there is a connection between 41 and 42 dated Lugers and the W-SS. This has nothing to do with the black grips per say, they just happened to be fitted to about 20% of these Lugers (according to Still). The SS got a high percentage of the 41 and 42 production because the Army was trying to hold on to all P.38 production at that point in the war.

Also consider the eye appeal, the fact that these were the last produced Lugers by Mauser (in quantity by any maker)and that 20% of that 2 year production is about the same as a G date, in other words not real common. I would say a bit of marketing and a lot of history and sharp looks.