View Single Post
Unread 03-19-2002, 10:01 AM   #1
bb907

Default Questions, questions...

I need some help with the P.08 that I was just given by my Uncle, who brought it home from the War. I also have the origional "Declariation" Form signed by his Commanding Officer, giving him permission to ship it home.

The Pistol was taken in Germany, in 1945. It was pointed at him, and fired in anger. I do not seek this information for its sale. It is not, nor will be for sale.

Description: (From reading here, I have been able to determine that it is of Mauser Manufacture, 1942, and was accepted by the Military into service.)

Stamps, top of receiver at barrel, moving rearward tward the butt: "42" on the receiver, "16" on extractor, "byf" and "16" on top and "16" again on the rear toggle link. Right side: an eagle with a circle under it on the barrel. Same stamp, only larger, and fainter on the receiver along with Two Eagle/circle stamps over the number 135. Left side: "4016" on the receiver, "16" on the locking bolt, "16" on the trigger slide plate, "16" on the safety bar, "P.08" on the frame and "GESICHERT" on the frame under the safety catch. Bottom: "4016" on barrel, "4016" on the front of the frame. Behind this number is a symbol that looks kinda like "^2". The magazine is steel, with an aluminim "butt" stamped "668" stamped over an older stamp "633" another symbol that looks like a cursive lowercase "u", a "+" and another eagle over the number "63". I have the bullets that were loaded in the magazine also ranging in manufacture from 1943, 1944 and 1945. (I have no intention of ever firing these, by the way)

Any help in identifying its service history would be appreciated. My Uncle is 76 and has had a stroke. He cannot communicate other than to say "Yes" or "No", but my Aunt tells me that he always told the story that the gun was aimed at him and the trigger pulled (Apparently a round had not been chambered) by a 12 or 13 year-old boy. My Uncle's compatriots killed the boy and gave him the pistol. He was a 19 year-old Cannoneer in Battery "A" of the Fifteenth Field Artillery Battalion. Any and all help would be appreciated!

Sincerely, bnbishop@bellsouth.net