Thread: Imperial proofs
View Single Post
Unread 08-31-2012, 02:23 PM   #39
friendlyfred
User

Thanks Norme for your observation, however I must play devil's advocate and point out that not all toggles have the bevel. See example in attached picture. I just grabbed the Luger under my desk and took the pix. Personal defense weapon. Nothing special about it. I will dig some out of the vault and see if there are more flat examples.

Also, if the toggle had been ground down, there would be a difference in thickness and also detectable "dishing" from the ground down area. There is none. The toggle is absolutely flat...period. It has been been examined with a micrometer and a microscope for tool marks.

Dwight suggests that the "stamp" has been "Pantographed".

Several years ago, when I first brought up my pistol, someone requested that I remove the whitening from the word Spandau. I am going to do this and examine the interior of the "stamp" and let you folks know what I find. IF, the stamp was a pantograph, what was it copied from??? Although the stamp is slightly slanted, why is it identical to the "authenticated" Spandau's in Middleman's article. I disagree that the distances are different. I have only a copy of a copy of a copy of the article. That is why I want a copy of the original article. Those photographs can be measured more accurately.

Now comes the request for suggestions on how to remove the whitening without effecting the surrounding metal or causing any abrasion to the stamp or surrounding area. I don't want to do anything which could affect the inspection of the stamp area.

Many thanks for all input. All opinions are welcome.

Fred Pack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-562S.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	28402  

friendlyfred is offline   Reply With Quote