Unread 08-25-2012, 02:23 PM   #13
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,482 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrerick View Post
Based upon the description I'd offer a "shooter" price until proved otherwise.

Marc
I think this is good practice, when buying. The main rule of thumb is "Buy the gun, not the story." Then, "Condition, condition, condition..." Start with these two hurdles to winnow most of the chaff. Now is where all the fun begins, sorting through, comparing correct markings and configurations to yours, to flesh out what is the fullest possible picture of your gun. There are, indeed, some mighty experts--and I speak of true expertise here, a product of years of experience and study--on this forum. It is not unusual for a collector to specialize in particular Lugers of whatever variation. So, no one knows everything; and this is where the forums come in handy: Submitting the clearest, highest resolution, most comprehensive series of pics possible gives all the forum members a chance to check out what you have. It is usually the case that eventually we can nail it down reasonably tight. (Did I use enough qualifiers, here? There are, of course, no guarantees.) Anyway, the thing that gives the the most power to this collective body of knowledge is the comprehensiveness and quality of your pics.