View Single Post
Unread 03-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #45
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,482 Times in 1,323 Posts

I think it is good for this old thread to come up again.

1) I enjoyed reading it. I'd missed seeing it up until now, and it lends perspective to the notion that we are all fallible. Mistakes can be perpetrated by the best-educated, best-intentioned, most-prepared people, most experienced, as well. I guess our humanity equalizes us all, in our mistakes and regrets.

2) It is educational! Though perhaps somewhat unlikely, there's a possibility that some can learn from the mistakes of others. More likely human nature condemns most of us to inventing everything ourselves, and this would include our mistakes!

3) I wanted to add my boo-boos to the list of other ouchies:

I acquired a bayonet and sheath in around 1966 and kept it with my stuff in my room. I did not know at the time, but it's for a Mauser 98. Around 1974, I tinkered with it. Not once, but three times. First, I removed the grips and brought to bear the full brunt of my experience in refinishing furniture upon them--stripped, probably sanded a bit, and given a new coat of tung oil.
Second, since my wife at the time worked in the service department of the Ithaca Gun Company, I arranged to have the bayonet and cover re-blued. It received the same finish as an Ithaca 37 would have had in that period, resulting in a deep black blue. And Shiny! I think the late Morris Bailey (another story) was trying to do an extra-nice job, because he had buffed the bejeepers out of it. Looked great, I thought.
Third, I removed the inner works of the sheath and lined the inside surfaces of the springs with glued on felt. You see, the metal on metal contact had caused the scuffs on the blade that inspired the reblue. Much better now, I thought.
An old German saying goes, "We are too soon old and too late smart."

David Parker
ithacaartist is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to ithacaartist for your post: