View Single Post
Unread 06-13-2011, 11:48 AM   #16
Michael Zeleny
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.T. View Post
Well Michael, I love lugers as much or more then the next guy... But I learned very early on that they were never designed, or intended to have match grade sights, and target triggers... And yes, a few have been successfully converted, and a few have even won in tough competition..... I'm even trying to build one myself, like I said, I love'em!!.. But, that puts Lugers solidly in about the .0009 percentile (If even that??) of winning guns in the tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of pistol matches shot over the last seventy five years... .....Also, I have experienced that when a competitor is backed by a factory... his chances are markedly improved... I think the reason you see a lot of 1911 types shooting in competition, is because they work well for it, and people win with them... Simple as that, If the Luger held the magic at the contest, they'd all be shooting them...
Competition favors whatever is the most available among the admissible devices. Heinrich Keller prevailed over Huelet Benner for the 1949 ISSF world title with his 7.65 Luger pitted against the American's S&W revolver, notwithstanding the latter's putative superiority in the sight picture and the trigger pull. W+F Lugers are still plentiful and highly competitive in Swiss Schützenfesten. All it takes to make them so is a U-notch rear sight modification and trigger tuning with the armorer's tool shown above.