View Single Post
Unread 06-13-2011, 06:31 AM   #15
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,583 Times in 989 Posts
Default Sad but true...

Well Michael, I love lugers as much or more then the next guy... But I learned very early on that they were never designed, or intended to have match grade sights, and target triggers... And yes, a few have been successfully converted, and a few have even won in tough competition..... I'm even trying to build one myself, like I said, I love'em!!.. But, that puts Lugers solidly in about the .0009 percentile (If even that??) of winning guns in the tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of pistol matches shot over the last seventy five years... .....Also, I have experienced that when a competitor is backed by a factory... his chances are markedly improved... I think the reason you see a lot of 1911 types shooting in competition, is because they work well for it, and people win with them... Simple as that, If the Luger held the magic at the contest, they'd all be shooting them...
And sometimes, right guy, right gun, it's just your day.. I've seen excellent pistol shots, and it really didn't matter what they shot, as long as there were some sights and the trigger wasn't welded solid... (I think they could still beat me with those handicaps...)... So, I guess I respectfully disagree with the notion that the Luger in any form, will compete with a match grade 1911, probably on any level, with the exception of perhaps the WW battlefields, I don't think the German Army, in the whole of (both) war(s), had as many stoppages and failures to feed as we peacetime shooters do! ... .. Best to all, til...lat'r...GT

Last edited by G.T.; 06-13-2011 at 10:48 AM.
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote