View Single Post
Unread 05-16-2011, 10:02 AM   #7
Imperial Arms
Banned

Hello Pepe,

If I had to make an opinion, the M1900 Commercial Luger that you show on this forum was probably a private purchase around 1904-06. When the pistol was registered in Portugal, it was stamped with a 'police department' number on the left side of the frame in front of the sideplate.

In my opinion, the pistol appears to be original and I doubt that such an outstanding restoration could be made in Portugal, unless the pistol was previously purchased and restored in another country. Sometimes you need to excuse the closed and ignorant opinions of some collectors on this forum who like to rush to conclusions about pistols appearing in near mint condition – they often say that "it can’t be true for a gun that old" without knowing much information as to what was found in other overseas countries. I personally know of about ten pre-1945 German pistols that I have been found in Portugal in similar condition including three mint M1934 Mauser Schnellfeuer pistols. Please e-mail me some close-up images of the front sight and the two sides of the pistol, preferably taken in the shade (natural light) on a colored background such as grey, yellow or light brown (such as a large piece of cardboard box). I shall send you my e-mail address separately.

For your information, I am aware of a few outstanding pistols that have come out of Portugal over the past many years. For example, in 2001, I acquired from the great grandson of Admiral Hypacio de Brion his near mint M1906 Portuguese Royal Navy Luger with all its accessories including the original manual from the Royal Navy Academy. Usually, these pistols are still 'hiding' in certain families.

It is a fact that Portuguese citizens did purchase Lugers before the Portuguese Navy received their various contract Lugers in 1908. Interestingly, I recently acquired from a Portuguese book dealer a first edition Albrecht Kind (AKAH) dealer catalog that was published in 1910 in the Spanish and English language. It lists the M1900 Luger as well as the M1902 Luger Carbine.

I am awaiting a reply from you.

Regards from Malta,
Albert Beliard
Imperial Arms is offline   Reply With Quote