View Single Post
Unread 04-17-2011, 11:33 PM   #16
Guntoter
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecano44 View Post
Hello

I'm surprised that all you "experts" didn't mention that the " Eagle " marking that can be seen on the last picture ( before those of the tool ) on the first part of the lock ( extractor) , is an Erfurt one, what is not in accordance with the DWM marking on the second part of the lock.....

amazing......
I don't have my books in front of me to quote from, but I believe in 1915 the Erfurt style started showing up on DWM Lugers, usually on the breechblock and sometimes also on the barrel. I think the receiver eagle usually stayed as the DWM one.

It would be cool to find documentation as to why this occurred. According to standard beliefs, these firing proof eagles should have went on at the same time, right after proof firing so having 2 different styles would seem odd. But my theory is that the pistol was not actually proof stamped until much later after the firing and apparently more than one inspector, or inspection stations, was utilized to inspect the parts (separately) then the proof eagles were stamped. Maybe one of the inspectors was from one of the government arsenals and carried over his stamp?