Thread: Rust Bluing
View Single Post
Unread 12-23-2010, 03:04 AM   #7
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts

The absolutely important thing to remember is ADD THE ACID TO THE WATER...SLOWLY!!...NEVER ADD THE WATER TO THE ACID!!! If you pour the water into the acid it will flash boil and explode. More than one student has learned this the hard way in the laboratory and got severe acid burns.

As I recall you mix the acids together and add the nails. After the nails have dissolved, add the mixture slowly to the water. You need to use a crock or glass vessel. After it is mixed thoroughly, put the final mixture in a dark glass bottle, sunlight weakens the bluing solution. Oh by the way, it is probably best to do this all outside...that stuff stinks.

Hope I got that all right...I take no responsibility for any foolish attempt to make this stuff, it can be hazardous.

Using the solution to rust blue a gun is another whole process that involves swabbing the solution on very well cleaned metal, rusting it in a steam box, boiling the gun/part and carding off the rust, repeating several times until the desired depth of blue is achieved. I'll let someone else do the honors of writing that up.

Last edited by Ron Wood; 12-23-2010 at 04:05 AM.
Ron Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Ron Wood for your post: