View Single Post
Unread 08-27-2010, 02:10 PM   #5
edbear2
New User

Ed, Dave, TH......many thanks for the informative replies, I would imagine that as the Magazine was found over here, that the gun was probably one of the hundreds, if not thousands, that have been sadly crushed / smelted down in one of the several amnesty's over the years in the UK....I am in my 50's, and when I was at school several of my friends told of finding some of Dad's (or Grand dad's) "secret stuff" either in the shed, or attic....invariably they were talking about either WW1 or WW2 veteran souvenirs, helmets, field kit and of course the favourite of all allied troops it seems...the Luger...British soldiers were normally searched when returning from overseas, or given the option of disposing of battlefield pick ups over the side of the transports they were on, so there is a fair amount of ordnance rusting away in the English channel as I write this.However, a huge amount of stuff did come back, and still turns up from time to time as old soldiers pass, I suppose the survival rate in the USA is higher due to the less restrictive forearm legislation.
edbear2 is offline   Reply With Quote