View Single Post
Unread 06-30-2010, 09:34 AM   #18
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Jason,

I'm sure that forum members welcome your postings and photos.

I understand the frustration and anxiety in the last post.

None of the members here are trying to criticize your Luger for the purpose of knocking the value down or cheating you. They are just expressing their opinions based on the information they have.

There is a huge amount of "boosting" done with Lugers. It can take many forms. The reason it's done is purely greed. A few hours work, and many thousands of dollars can come home.

Most Luger collectors have also been burned at one time or another. The opinions you're getting here are based upon experience, and sometimes very difficult experience.

This is a community. I've found it to be welcoming and to have good integrity.

- - - -

I'm a new collector too. I think you have a beautiful Luger. I frankly wish I could have one as nice. Someday I probably will.

The holster marked "bla" carries the mark of holster maker E. G. Leuner in Bautzen, Sachsen.
It looks to be in good condition. There are expert holster restorers on this site that can give more informed opinions.

I can't tell because of lack of detail in the photographs, but I think you have Haneal manufactured extruded magazines. They look right from what I can discern.

You know the provenance of the rig. If this was a "bring back" from the WW-II European war theater, it's possible that the seller has an authorization from the US forces called a "bring back paper". If you can contact the seller, ask him if he might be able to locate this.

Having a complete original rig with bring back papers increases it's value. It's not a matter of whether anyone believes your provenance or not... The papers (if they can be found) are part of the history of your rig.

One of our members is collecting "bring back stories" for inclusion in an upcoming book he's writing. If you could get details of how this pistol was acquired I know it would be appreciated.

- - - -

Photography is, as you note, a hobby / profession all to itself. There are some inexpensive and relatively easy ways to improve pictures, which is why I shared some hints in my last post. I wasn't criticizing your skills or equipment, only trying to help.

Better pictures mean that people here can be more helpful. Of course, there's nothing like seeing something in person.

Marc
mrerick is offline   Reply With Quote