View Single Post
Unread 01-10-2002, 12:08 PM   #1
Bob in AZ
User

Default D-Date Police Questions,,,

It's just been raining Lugers for me lately. After I picked up my minty S-42/1938 a friend stops by with a double date 1917/1920 DWM. I traded one of my many Garands for it. This Luger has nice finish 90-95%, sear safety, 4"bl exc bore, all matching except mag. I do have a few questions:

The receiver top front edge has the chamfer clearence cut for a artillery sight. Could this Luger been a artillery model and rebarrel with a 4"? Or the cut was just machine in case it was going to be fitted for a artillery. Yes the barrel is number to the gun with bore diam stamped below.

Second, With the sear safety I'm pretty sure this Luger is a police gun. It also has stampings added to the front grip strap of frame. They are S.P.L.o1 3927 and below this on the "hump" part of frame is S.P.L. Unfortunately the first part of these stamping are X out, although you can still read them. Can anyone tell me what this marking translate to?

Lastly, Along with nitro proof, typical military stampings, there is one that I can't figure out. On the toggle just behind the lugs its stamped with a funky ~ over RC. This stamp is also on left side of barrel. Any know what this means?

Appreciate all replies.

Bob