View Single Post
Unread 05-09-2010, 09:20 AM   #5
newluger
User

I'm very glad that someone has finally brought up this topic. I'm still a novice when it comes to collecting Lugers, but in the past year this forum has taught me a lot. Last November I attended the Military Collector Association gun show here in Franklin Tennessee. We usually attend on opening Friday morning in hopes of finding something interesting. Well, as the story goes, the only thing that I found was a C96 Mauser Bolo Broomhandle. This piece had been abused and the barrel had pretty well been shot out. The guy wanted $400. They quote these prices without even cracking a smile. I went back on Sunday afternoon
afternoon and offered him $250. He wouldn't budge but let me have it for $300. I just got it back yesterday from the Broom Closet. What was once a sows ear is now a fairly nice looking Broomhandle.

Last month, we attended the association's spring show. There were a lot of Lugers there, and with the little knowledge that I had gained, I went in prepared to do battle. I looked at a Mauser BYF that the guy wanted $1300. It was fairly clean and appeared that the numbers matched. Furthur looking found a couple of pistols with the Mauser hump along with holsters that may have been original for about $1300. But at the next table, a guy had a DWM for about the same price without a holster. This was Friday morning. The next day I went back, and looked at the first Mauser BYF for $1300. I litterally took it apart, examined all of the parts with a magnifier and bore light, and even with non matching grips and magazine, I offered him as a starting price $900. He said no and said that the price was $1500.

I guess what I am trying to say, is that by people not knowing, they are paying high prices, and only driving prices up. The guys selling the guns don't care. they get the guns cheep and then turn around and make a few quick buck.

I thought we were in a recession?

Take a look at what is happening with the Broomhandles. It appears to me that this is the hot item now. The prices just keep going up, and they will continue untill we say "Enough is enough."

Well, anyway, I've got my Lugers. I've got my Broomhandle. I'm satified.

There, I got that off my chest!

Newluger
newluger is offline   Reply With Quote