Unread 12-08-2009, 05:52 PM   #12
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wood View Post
The "slash in a triangle" is actually a slash in a shield shape and is a DWM barrel inspection mark, possibly placed there during production when a barrel was "out of spec" and was corrected or replaced. It has been mistakenly identified as a Tula Arsenal proof by some (PIA to name one). A Tula Arsenal "proof" is a T in a triangle with the top of the T at the apex of the triangle rather than parallel to a side. I believe this indicates repair/rework/refurbish by the Tula Arsenal and I have seen it on at least one 1906 Russian Luger that I considered authentic.
I got a response to my question to the seller as to whether it had a proof mark on the barrel...Here's his response...

Dear Sir,
The Russian pistol has one proof mark on it, This a mark like a shield with a slash diagonally across it. It can be seen in Charles Kenyon Jr's book "Lugers at Random" page 39, item 22. The safety is marked in the Bulgarian cyrillic OLbHb "FIRE". The extractor is marked in Russian "3APAb" cyrillic alphabet. This pistol is pictured very well in "Luger Tips" by Michael Reese
II, Page 39.
Best regards,

xxxx xxxxxxxxxx
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote