Unread 10-23-2009, 06:11 PM   #16
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
What could be wrong with the input steel?

I would assume that the data feeding into the computer is correct, their multi-million-dollar CNC equipments are great, and the operators (if any) are professionals.

But why is the product quality low? and what's human being's factor in this process?
The person who coded the program may have used excessive clearances (different from tolerances)...The SS may have been of low quality or just too "soft" a grade...Stainless is subject to "galling" no matter what grade; it requires good lubrication...(I use LSA on all my SS pistols; others have their own preferred lubes)...

Operator/coder can specify spindle speed too fast (or too slow); feed rate may be too high (or too low); depth of cut may be...yup, you guessed it...too much or too little...

It's not all that much different from manually machining the piece...You just approach it differently...and you try out a new program on inexpensive workpieces; not expensive forgings (or in the case of the SS Lugers, investment castings, IIRC)...

It's not something you can learn in a day...a good machinist learns his trade over a lifetime...and is still learning...

I wish I was a good machinist...I'm running out of time...

Last edited by sheepherder; 10-24-2009 at 05:30 PM.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote