View Single Post
Unread 12-18-2001, 12:01 PM   #6
Art Buchanan

Default Re: Here are two more pictures...

We recently discussed Portugese Lugers here and there did not seem to be much response. I have 5 variations.[There is at least one more but only 50 so my collection will never be complete] I am not an authority but have researched the major books and saved magazine articles. Most seem to agree that contract was for 1000 1906 Navy models. When the chamber changed from crown anchor to Crown RP is a different matter. I have my 1906 crown anchor in front of as I write. I pronounce the pictured Luger to be correct and in better condition than mine. Wish I had the rig. My crown anchor is #125, John Walter reports #134, Mike Reese in Luger Tips reports # 287, and Lugers at Random reports #769. My crown RP is #639. Simpson's current list advertises RP #5xx. John Walter reports #993. Recently I learned of RP # 241. I will not judge who is the greater expert. However 2 major Luger people who are considered of some authority disagree on the authenticity of RP #241. One envolved with the estate purchase says that it is authentic and correct. The other says that it is fake and put to gether on a 1906 commercial frame. What do you guys think??? My reasearch indicates these were issued with a script 9mm wood base on the clips. The Portugese army of the day were .30cal. GT--I am going to need a couple more 9mm script wood bottoms---Oh, that should stir the pot!!! The Luger and Rig pictured is nice. I envy it. Anyone know where I can get a holster. PS Barrels are numbered to both my Lugers. I am farily confident that my 2 Lugers are authentic and correct. Obviously no refinish and I got them kind of first hand after they came to the U.S.