View Single Post
Unread 09-05-2009, 09:25 AM   #42
Pistol
User

Default Thanks!

Thank you very much Klaus for the information. You are like an Encyclopedia. And thanks to jamese for the translation. I had translated through another site, and was going to post today in English for others. There were some mimor variations in my translation, but it helped me to see both translations to get the best meaning. These computer translations seem to do a good job, but loose a little of the intended meaning in the translation.

On the hold-open and site. Either the officer did not have time to have it sent in for the modifications, or did not want to pay the 2.80 gold mark for the change.

Regarding the black dye. If I understand correctly there was a 1915 order about care and blackening of holsters. Blackening was more applicable to the Ordonnanpistole and not the officer's PO8 holsters, which typically remained brown. Furthermore, based upon Klaus's collection of 50 holsters dating from 1909-1911, only three of these were blackened.

So, it is possible then that my 1911 holster in question was blackned shortly after the 1915 order, and the black dye would be consider consistent with that period. However, it is more likely that it was blackned years later subsequent to WWI.

So, the owner served in the 1st Battalion of the Bavarian 16th Intantry Regiment, or in the 2nd battalion of the Bavarian 2nd Reserve Infantrie Regiment. And both of these were part of theBavarian 1st Army Corps. I saw in a post by Jan Still, that the 16th infantry Regiment was part of the 1st, 10th, and 11th Bavarian Infantry Divisons during WWI. It was part of 1st 1914 to March 1915, when it joined the 10th Bavarian Division. It became part of 11th Bavarian Div. in August 1918. Is this the same 16th Bavarian Regiment on the holster. Jan has a good timeline on his post. I want to ensure I don't have this confused with a differnt regiment.

Last edited by Pistol; 02-23-2019 at 05:02 PM.
Pistol is offline   Reply With Quote