View Single Post
Unread 08-23-2009, 11:34 AM   #15
drbuster
User

Hate to stir up more controversy as no one from the period has survived to clear up questions. I know how Ron Wood feels about #20. We went over it at the recent Reno show. The blue had a fine patina evident by shining a flashlight on it. The "GL" monogram was scalloped properly and not flat out like so many previous faked GL's. The Swiss Cross was interesting. It was larger than those hand engraved ones on the later alleged "pre-production" models. It appeared engraved as some of the rays were of different depth to my eye (unless the hand stamp was made this way). The rear toggle was flat and of proper thickness, it did not appear to have been shaved. Also the blue on this surface demonstrated fine patina. The squared rear toggle link looked OK as the the rear toggle itself. I am told that this thickness of the so called wings on the front face of the rear toggle varied in thickness. I wonder if these dimensions on BL#5 and BL#6 are identical. In summary, despite Ron's concern, which I feel are well taken, this #20 looked as genuine as can be. If not, it is a clever fake, well done by a fantastic machinist many years ago. By the way, a defininte (in my opinion) fake #21 was also at the show in another presenter's show case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RenoAug2009 018.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	7852  

Name:	RenoAug2009 019.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	7853