View Single Post
Unread 05-09-2009, 09:32 PM   #1
HuntMaster
User

Default Hello, new member here, got a question

Good evening everyone,
I just found this forum while searching for some help on my Luger.
I recently acquired a 1914 DWM commercial in a trade. Beautiful pistol, all #'s match, no pitting or rust, but possibly a reblue( no straw on parts).
I love the pistol, have always wanted one since I was a kid ( I'm now 43), but there is a problem with this one:
- I thought I was getting a 9mm in the trade, but it turned out to be the .30 - no problem. The problem started when I bought a box of ammo that was 71 grain reman stuff. When the gun fired, it would not throw the toggle back far enough to eject the brass and reload another round.
Someone said this pistol was designed to operate on 93 gr stuff , so I figured the 71's did not create enough chamber pressure to operate the action.
O.K. new problem- I found some 93gr Fiocchi to try. The OAL is not as long as the reloads I tried. When I fire the pistol, there is sufficient power to cycle the action, however, after ejecting the spent case, the new round gets stuck at the top of the barrel , and the action will not close. It looks as if the shorter length is causing the round to "kick up" out of the mag and hang on the opening of the barrel before the action is finished cycling.
The only other thought I have is maybe the magazine is causing the jam. It is not the original mag, and appears to be aftermarket. Do you guys have a recommendation for a good mag?
What are your thoughts on the problem? All comments are welcome.
Please forgive me for being long- winded on my 1st posting. I hope to be on this site a while- I am also a member in good standing on OpticsTalk.com and AR15.com.
Thanks in advance, Guys.
HM
HuntMaster is offline   Reply With Quote