Thread: Taper Crimp?
View Single Post
Unread 05-08-2009, 01:45 PM   #6
Sieger
User

PhilOhio:

Part of the reloading process is the fun we derive from reloading, as I'm sure you will agree that making that last little adjustment that brings a group down that extra bit is the essence of the effort itself.

Friction fit has always worked just fine for me. My typical targets are one inch or less at 25 yards (hand held over a sand bag) with my Lugers. The trick with a good friction fit is the diameter of the expander die used. Too tight and it shaves, too loose and it slips.

I differ from you on your approach to lead bullets, however. When loading lead, I typically let a "micro" bell at the case mouth, so as not to shave the soft lead off while the bullet is moving out of the case. This technique I discovered while loading black powder cartridges. Care must be taken in making the proper adjustment of the case mouth so as not to hang it up while feeding, however, into the bottleneck 9mm chamber of the Luger.

For me, reloading has been a great part of the enjoyment of shooting over the last 31 years.

Respectfully

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote