View Single Post
Unread 03-13-2009, 03:18 AM   #45
Doppler1992
User

I was drawn to this discussion when Herb asked if anyone actually used a Luger for personal protection, so I thought it might be a chance to chime in as a new member and perhaps obtain some information about appropriate ammunition for the Luger.

I kept a loaded Luger nearby since it was given to me by my stepfather in 1982, primarily because it was all I had besides a 9mm Walther P38. Both guns were always loaded with no chambered rounds - and no children were ever around. One of the old guns stayed in the car (in a non-descript case) and the other beside the bed.

However, I finally bought a .40 caliber Desert Eagle and joined a gun range where I have been firing all three guns often - sometimes twice per week - which might raise the hair on the necks of some of the more civilized Luger collectors. ;-)

Good thing I never needed the Luger for protection because I recently discovered it was prone to jam with several types of modern ammunition. I figure the shape of the hollow points is part of the problem, and maybe leaving 7 rounds in the magazine for 30 years made the magazine springs weak. I am hearing other forum members remark that their Lugers are not always reliable, but in the 1980s I never had any jamming problems. Thus I am seeking advice on what ammo to avoid and what works well with both the Walther P38 and the Luger? It looks like I should avoid hollow points with both guns.

Since I now have the .40 cal Desert Eagle I don't need hollow points in the old guns - but would like to find a reliable round to use for occasional target practice. Once I am convinced both guns are reliable I’ll probably quit shooting the old guns because the Luger is a 1914 model with matching serial numbers – pretty clean according to the folks at the gun range. One employee at the gun range gave me the story about needing a 156 grain round to actuate the Luger reliably, but some forum members have stated that the a heavy round requirement is folklore.

Any constructive feedback would be greatly appreciated – and a source for 9mm ammo would be appreciated as it is nearly impossible to find in Oklahoma.

Doppler1992 is offline   Reply With Quote