Unread 02-04-2009, 12:15 AM   #5
Sieger
User

Default Aol

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhondaz50 View Post
OAL was 1.173, bullet is a HP

Hi:

Just an educated suggestion, try your OAL at 1.15 (approximately 29.0mm).

1.173 would be where to start with a round nose, but flat pointed bullets need less OAL to feed properly.

Try this:

Load up 8 dummies at 1.173 and load them into the magazine.

1) Is there any binding while loading them into the magazine?

2) Is there any binding while working the action by hand for all eight cartridges?

If there is any hint of binding or hard feeding, adjust your OAL in either direction (on all eight) and retry the aforementioned tests. Adjust by very small increments
(.001), as small adjustments yeild large changes when eight cartridges are involved. I would start at about 1.10, or so, and work up. When you have the right length, you will "feel it" when you work a full magazine of eight rounds through the action. With the proper OAL, all eight rounds should feed like butter into the barrel.

Correct OAL; proper bullet nose shape; proper type powder and charge; and springs that are in spec. are all necessary for perfect Luger function (1,000 rounds fired with no malfunctions).

Good luck and let me know your final proper length!!

Sieger

For your powder, unless you are perfectly satisfied with yours, I'd try Power Pistol or SR4756 instead. If your barrel is in excellent shape, and you are a good shot, 25yard groups should be expected at less than 1/2 inch (hand held over a sand bag)!!

Last edited by Sieger; 05-12-2009 at 02:07 AM.
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote