View Single Post
Unread 11-23-2001, 01:32 AM   #8
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,429 Posts
Default Re: Big Norm, Destroyed?

Big Norm, I am curious to know what you mean by strawing that destroyed parts. Any metal part that has a straw color was brought to somewhere around 550 degrees F. Excuse me but I would have to go dig out my metal heating chart to tell you exactly and it is not handy right now. But this temperature is in no way hot enough to destroy steel. Of course there are varaying temps and colors but if it gets too dark you buff it off and if too light, heat it some more. I have strawed many gun parts and to be honest it is easier than baking bread. As long as you have a relatively accurate way to tell the temp and clean the part, remove all oil and wash with alchohol it turns a beautiful straw every time.Then oil liberally with a good quality oil. I use several oven thermometers made by Taylor and keep an eye on it thru the toaster oven window with a flashlight. You don"t even need a thermometer as you can go by the color as it heats up.. I am working on case hardening and want to do a few parts for fun. That requires 1600 degrees F. So it is a little more difficult. Just curious..Jerry